Anxiety can be described as the series of emotions caused due to several disorders in the brain related to worrying, nervousness and fear. It has certain intensity and side effects in life. Anxiety can bring a lot of psychological changes in a person’s life. Some common anxiety disorders are Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD), Panic disorder, Phobia, Social Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Separation Anxiety Disorder etc.
Few natural ways those are good for stress relief are:
- The herb Passion flower is a remedy to stress relief. But, it has few side-effects like vomiting, increase of heart beat rate and drowsiness.
- Massage therapy and proper exercise can cut muscle tension, stress. This can improve sleep.
- Aromatherapy is another solution, which through essential oils of bergamot, jasmine, lavender; rose can diminish stress in body and mind.
- Valerian is another herb that takes three weeks about to work. It has its side effects of headache, indigestion and dizziness. One should follow certain rules before taking valerian. Valerian should not be taken by liver patients, cannot be taken with alcohol.
- United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) restricts the use of another herb called Kava which is used for stress relief because of the side effects.
Few medications which are used for stress relief are:
- CBT or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or Psychotherapy and Interpersonal therapy can be used to treat patients, exposing them to different situations, and then comparing their reactions.
- SSRI (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) and SNRI are the two medication treatment for anxiety. SSRI being the first choice is a antidepressants for social phobia.
- Benzodiazepines like alprazolam are used as substitutes for SSRIs.
- For generalized cases one can take atypical antipsychotic quetiapine. It also has many side-effects.